We’re all trying to outrank someone on Google but did you know that 50% of all searches result in zero clicks because users are finding what they are looking for without clicking away? Plus 14% of all clicks Google sends back to it’s own properties like Google News, Images and YouTube! In 2020 Google has changed SEO forever and in this episode our CEO Moby talks about what that means practically for your SEO and Content strategy moving forward. Plus the hottest Facebook Ad Unit everyone is talking about right now, Facebook Instant Experiences and how you can optimise them for low Cost-per-click and Cost-per-acquistion figures.
Buzz 1: Google Focus & SEO in 2020
Summary of Six Key SEO Tips to adapt to the Google Algorithm in 2020:
- Find ways to make our brand be what searchers seek. For example you don’t want searches for weather you want searches for Weather Channel or WeatherZone. The revival of brand marketing is a big trend in we’ve seen in digital marketing this year
- Shift SEO Keyword Research & Content Marketing focus Google is less likely to cannabalise. Tools like Moz and Ahrefs are great for keyword research, both these tools also give you estimated organic click-through-rates. Employ the use of these tools or ask if your agency to use those. So not only are you evaluating the search volume of a keyword, the difficulty but also the click-through-rates.
- Create People Also Ask (PAA) Content. This actually is a key part of what is called On-SERP SEO. A search ending in zero-clicks is not useless to marketers or publishers. Yes, the metrics are harder to track and the ability to convert a visitor to take action is reduced, but the ability to influence that searcher still very much exists. In terms of how to create content that lands in the answer box:
a. Write complete questions and answers. Make sure that each question is asked and answered fully
b. Use plain language
c. Avoid sales language
d. Add Q&A schema
- Shift Focus to On SERP SEO. On SERP SEO is bigger than just the PAA box, this is a huge area brands must now invest in to win the SEO stakes. This includes optmising Google Maps, tagging images to appear in Google Images, Google News etc. Listen to the podcast for more tips on how to start On SERP SEO.
- Barnacle SEO & Editorial Content Submission. There may be keywords that are so competitive it’s just not realistic getting those rankings easily so attach yourself to the properties that are.
- Finally, use ads can nudge awareness & behaviour. Google ads work because not only are they obviously on the top and these days don’t look like ads they help familiarise users with your brand. In fact there is a strong correlation of branded search increases after brands run Google Display and Google Search ads
Buzz 2: Facebook Instant Experience Ads
If you run Facebook Ads and sick of rising cost-per-clicks and cost-per-lead figures then you need to listen to this featured buzz (16:02).
Facebook Instant Experiences are a new and improved version of Facebook’s Canvas ads, which offer an immersive, full-screen mobile experience for a business to showcase its products and tell its brand story in a visually compelling way.
Useful templates and resources: